Breast cancer surgery has always been a vital component in the treatment of breast cancer. Although breast surgery aids in better survival, there are certain disadvantages like deformity in the appearance of both breasts after surgery, pain and discomfort, very long treatment time, etc. This made people anxious and doubtful about seeking surgical treatment.
Thankfully, with the advancements in breast cancer surgeries, these limitations are being sorted out resulting in a much better quality of life post-treatment. The breast cancer treatment in Gurgaon encompasses advanced surgical techniques that are less invasive, remove the cancer tissue effectively and at the same time preserve the natural looks of the breast. This avoids many post-surgical complications and boosts the confidence and self-esteem of those patients.
Through this article, let us make you aware with the latest innovative surgical techniques for breast cancer surgery nowadays and how these can be of great help, where can you find the best breast cancer treatment in Gurgaon, and an idea of the breast cancer treatment cost in Gurgaon.
What are the latest advancements in breast cancer treatment in Gurgaon?
The latest innovative surgical techniques for breast cancer include:
- Breast conservation surgeries
- (Lumpectomy): Initially mastectomy was the only option for breast surgery where the entire breast was removed. Now, breast surgery can be customized for each individual depending on the size, location, stage of the tumor, etc. Breast conservation surgery removes only a part of the breast and not the whole of it. This leads to better aesthetic results after the surgery.
- Nipple-sparing mastectomies: If the tumor is not very large or very close to the nipple, the breast surgery does not remove the nipples. Only the breast tissue is removed and the skin is left intact. This maintains the natural appearance and the scars are least visible.
- Management of axilla: When the cancer cells are spread to the lymph nodes in the axilla, they need to be removed. This increases the risk of other problems called ‘Lymphedema’(Painful swelling of the arm), restricted shoulder movement, etc. However, recent innovative techniques either preserve the axilla or redirect the route of the lymphatic system so that Lymphedema does not occur.
- Oncoplastic surgery and breast reconstruction: Instead of complete removal and excision of the breast, this sophisticated technique, results in a more symmetric look of the breasts. After the removal of the tumor, the breast tissue is reconstructed and recontoured to maintain its natural look.
- Autologous breast reconstruction: Conventional surgeries used breast implants to reconstruct the breast which had complications of rejection and infections. Now natural tissue flaps are used which are obtained from the patient’s body itself like the leg, abdomen, back, buttocks, etc., and used to reconstruct the breasts. They can be used for a lifetime, while implants have to be replaced after some years.
Other advancements in breast surgery treatment in Gurgaon are:
- Wire-free techniques for localization: Before the surgery, the oncology surgeon needs to locate the tumor. Conventionally a wire was put to the tumor site with the help of imaging guidance. This served as a guide to the surgeon, but the woman had to wait with the wire coming out of her breast till the surgery, which was very uncomfortable. Now new technologies are wireless, like ‘magseed’ and reflectors which are much more convenient, and comfortable and provide better precision to the surgeons and improved results for the patients.
- Radiation during the surgery: Nowadays, breast surgery is combined with radiation treatment at the tumor site. This intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) is more targeted, as it is done specifically at the tumor site and also prevents harm to other surrounding organs.
- New approaches to minimizing pain and discomfort: These days’ pain and discomfort are very effectively managed during and after surgery. Like, the doctors use nerve blocks for anesthesia which is very effective.
How are these latest advancements in the surgical treatment of breast cancer useful?
- Improves the quality of life: As this helps preserve the natural appearance of the breasts without any distortion, it promotes your psychological and emotional well-being and boosts self-esteem.
- Has a quicker healing time: These techniques are less invasive and more conservative, so the healing time is lessened.
- More effective and least harmful to other organs: Since other treatment modalities like radiation can be given at the time of surgery, it is more targeted at the cancer site and also has the least effect on other neighboring organs.
- Preserves the functioning of other body systems: Advanced surgical techniques have least effect on other systems like the lymphatic system so their functioning is not hampered.
What is the breast cancer treatment cost in Gurgaon?
Many factors affect the breast cancer treatment cost in Gurgaon:
- The type and stage of cancer: Various types and stages of cancer will have different treatment plans and thus different costs.
- Type and the site of the tumor: Depending on the size and location of the tumor, the cost will differ. For example, if the tumor is very large and located between some vital organs, the surgery will be extensive and complicated and the cost will be more.
- If combination therapies are used: If other treatment like chemotherapy, radiotherapy, etc. is also used with the surgery, the cost will alter.
- Pre and treatment tests, medications, and procedures: These will add to the final cost.
- Surgeon’s credentials: The more experienced and best cancer surgeon in Gurgaon will cost more, but also assure promising results.
- Technology used: The modern and latest technology may be a little expensive, but it gives better outcomes with minimum side effects and discomfort.
On average the breast cancer treatment cost in Gurgaon ranges between INR 90,000 -INR 16,00000.
Dr. Rajeev Agarwal is one of the best oncology specialist doctors in Gurgaon, who assures promising results with maximum comfort and safety. His team has the most qualified and experienced doctors and staff and uses the latest state-of-the-art technology that further promises desirable outcomes. They have kept the cost structures reasonable and provide various packages that further add value for money.